Friday, May 16, 2014

Step right up, get your tickets to some GOOD NEWS...


Today, my MRIs (all 1.5 hours of them, complete with an IV full of gadolinium dye) showed the following:

  • All previously active lesions are now officially inactive (yay)
  • All previously "questionable" lesions are no longer present (yay)
  • I have no new active lesions (yay)

Blood tests will confirm that my body has adjusted well to the Tecfidera; I will have those results by the weekend. Previous tests when I wasn't feeling as good as I am now showed my liver was metabolizing the medication just fine, so it's a safe assumption that my liver is still functioning well and I will be able to continue to use this new oral med, as it seems to be working for me. The manufacturer has proven to the FDA that it is safe to use 4 years out, so I'm feeling great that I might NEVER have to go the route of injectible medications with side effects. 

I will get a neuropsychological screening done this summer to establish a cognitive deficit baseline, and I will review my arthritis and carpal tunnel issues in both wrists also this summer to see if I still need surgery. I will also have my left big toe checked for arthritis or gout and move forward accordingly. 

I also have permission to double my wakefulness medication (modafinil) if I should get hit by a period of super fatigue (like I had last April, which caused me to miss both MS walks I had signed up for, in fact). 

I'm psyched to hear this news, of course, and it means I can let my energy levels shift away from concerns about disease progression so that I may invest more of my focus/attention on my work in the sleep medicine field. I've discovered that the more I work and the more I involve myself in other intellectual pursuits like writing, which don't shine a glaring light on my MS, the less I am stressed by it and if I'm having symptoms, they are barely noticeable if they are present at all. 

And that's what I'm going to leave you with, dear reader, as a closing bit: the less you examine your illness, the less it seems to bite back. I know I am lucky in that I have a mild form of MS which is not physically apparent to people around me, and I know that others with major mobility issues will be challenged to NOT always be thinking about their illness, because being out of balance or lacking movement in an arm or the sight in one eye can be terribly present... but in the end, we still can choose where to focus our attention, and if it's toward things that are life-affirming, positive, and helpful in some way to the community, then how can that NOT be a better approach? 

Thanks to everyone in my life--family, friends, doctors, nurses, technicians, pharmacists, insurance payors, MS cohorts--for buoying me up through this challenging year. And thanks, to, to Biogen Idec, which manufactures Tecfidera. I have been hearing all kinds of good news from my peers who started "Tec" before I did; I am so pleased to be part of the good news community now!