Saturday, May 31, 2014

Gratitudes from an MSer: Top Ten GOOD THINGS in my life right now


I have had a rough couple of weeks, but at the same time, I have not been without some wonderful experiences as well. Time to look away from the train wreck that symbolizes what's been going on in my personal life since mid-May and focus on the great gifts crossing my path.

1. Great children who I don't need to babysit. I know, they are teenagers, but let's face it: most parents of teens are scared shitless every time their kids leave the house. On the other hand, I am perhaps the only parent who slept well last night while my senior was off to the prom in the Big City. You know, I must have raised her right because I did not feel the need to babysit her or make her accountable for her night or shadow her. I know lots of parents who did these things last night: chauffeuring, hanging out at the actual dance, as if by doing so that would mean a better prom for their kids? I don't know... maybe it's because they can't cut those apron ties, or maybe they can't trust their kids to "make good choices," or maybe they are fearful of that business of after parties... who knows? All I know is that I trust my kids and give them a long leash and they have yet to let me down. That's no small thing when you have a condition which generally worsens under the weight of stress.

2. Despite the aforementioned train wreck, I continue to be pleased with the results of my latest MRIs and the way Tecfidera is helping me out as a DMT. Unfortunately, the train wreck began the afternoon following the good news about my MS (non)progression, but I never had a chance to celebrate. Why turn that into a negative? I am planning a celebration of my first year anniversary of taking Tecfidera in June, because I know I have friends who will celebrate with me. Plan it and they will come.

3. Obviously, I have endless gratitude for my friends. My husband is hot/cold when it comes to being supportive, and my children have their own challenges; I can't ask them to do the emotional work of adults. My extended family is going through all kinds of turmoil (re: previously alluded to train wreck) so they can't be expected to hunker down with me. But my friends are always there for me. Always.

4. My job continues to give me a reason to get up in the morning. I just took a credentialing exam and think I might have passed. If so, I can broaden my sphere of influence in ways beyond my work in the lab and even get paid for it. Woohoo!

5. Great weather! I use sunshine as fuel. Warmth improves my mileage. What's not to be grateful about?

6. My meds. All of my meds. I'm grateful to take them, grateful to be able to afford them and to be able to tolerate them.

7. I am grateful that my back deck is all cleaned up and functional again. I have an instant retreat space back there and I have already put it to use and love how calming it can be sitting out there, taking in some sun, tending to my herb garden, having a fire in the chiminea or chatting on the phone.

8. A freezer full of wild-caught salmon. I'm having some of it tonight. On the grill. AWESOME.

9. DVRs and Roku. There are times when I just need to ESCAPE!

10. Solo road trips. I've had to make two round trips since mid-May (one to the Tri-Cities, one to B'ham), and I love the silence and solitude of those drives, especially since the weather was beautiful 3/4 of the days/nights. I listened to podcasts, stopped to take pictures, ate yummy food and just let my brain unwind.