Saturday, March 8, 2014

National MS Awareness Month || Welcome to MS: Here's a map, but don't expect to know where you're headed


Here's an interesting graphic I found which shows how progression (from the left) can potentially lead to the ultimate disabling symptom of MS: death.

It's a complicated map for sure, of what could be waiting for anyone with MS. Aye, there's the rub, the words "could be." You see, there's no certainty that the progression diagrammed here will lead anyone to that fatal end game on the right, nor is there any certainty that they won't. All of us MSers are doing everything we can imagine or accept to halt the progression of this disease, but just take a look at all the side trips we may or may not have to endure along the way. This is part of the madness that comes of having MS, the not knowing from one day to the next how we're going to wake up. Functional? Foggy? Falling down? How far can any of us plan in advance? Or maybe the question really should be, how gifted must we be in graciously backing out of commitments and obligations? Because of all the other things that are uncertain, there's one thing for sure: all the best laid plans o' mice and men are not going to matter one iota if we wake up one day unable to move, to see or to think.

I consider myself fortunate, somewhere stuck in transit between the minimal and moderate impairment tracks, as I have tremor, bowel, fatigue and cognition issues, but mostly I'm focused on managing my symptoms at work, refining relationships with those in my support systems, and working with my DMTs to prevent future relapses. It's pretty much all I can do to keep up with my roles as mother, wife, daughter and employee while trying to outlast the war inside my body. Still, I'm nowhere close to the right side of the MS subway map. Now there's a bright side!